In 2019 CinemAsia offered both a fiction and a documentary programme. Every year FilmLAB selects a theme to act as a framework for the production of the short films that are created by selected participants with an Asian background.
Crafts and cultural heritage is the theme of the documentaries that are made during the 2019 of the FilmLAB Shorts Program. Not only are crafts worth exploring as a creative process, but they affect many aspects of the craftsman’s life.How does practising crafts affect tradition when it is done by an expat or diaspora? What influence can the Netherlands be to an Asian craft or tradition? For example, can the pragmatic Dutch experience food as a visual art form just like they do in Asia? Practicing a craft demands one’s full attention.A ritual of repetition can give room to reflect on life and family. To some it is a given that a crafts passed on from generation to generation.But it can also be a way to reconnect to your cultural roots, especially if you are no longer surrounded by the culture of your parents’ homeland. Engaging in a craft plays a big role in the construction of identity, finding harmony between tradition and interpretation and passing on these values for future generation.
Sponsors FilmLAB Shorts program 2019:
Participants FilmLAB Shorts 2019:
Deepti Rao, Rinku Kalsy, Ingrid Guldenaar, André Kloer, Casper van den Brink, Anouk Saint Martin, Priscilla Rasyid, Christina Muller, Fay Teo and Ami Tsang.
First the program started with a 3-day bootcamp consisting of the following workshops and lectures:
- Armando Ello (photographer/Filmmaker) speaking about support, crowdfunding and crowdsourcing
- Randy Vermeulen en Ruby Delen (VPRO Dorst) shared how they judge their submissions and what makes a proper filmplan.
- Yan Ting Yuen (Documentary maker) shared her filmography with the participants and the stories behind the production of them.
- Maggie Lee (old-creative director CinemAsia Film Festival) introduced CinemAsia and her background as film journalist and festival specialist
- Casper Thiel (Assistant Director , recording leader and coach) spoke to the participants about collaboration and team work.
- Genny van ‘t Veer en Swaze Hartog (CinemAsia FilmLAB producers of 2019) spoke about the PR and marketing during the production proces.
During the program the following industry professionals have also been involved
- Wendy van Willigenburg (Director of Ambacht in Beeld Festival) spoke about documentaire genres.
- Genny van ‘t Veer and Swaze Hartog (oud CinemAsia FilmLAB producers) held a peer review session on the participants filmplans.
- Sponsor Cam-a-Lot has offered to help familiarise the participants with the camera equipment.
- Daan Veldhuizen (filmmaker/Tegenlicht) gave the participants feedback on their montage.
- Genny van ‘t Veer and Swaze Hartog (CinemAsia FilmLAB producers of 2019) discussed the color correction plan
- Sponsor Loods, Lux & Lumen has decided on the proper color correction plan and has color graded the films.
- Sponsor Fever Films has the discussed the sound plan of participants and has done the sound work.
The films experienced a sneak peak during the CinemAsia FilmLAB day in LAB111 and then their premiere the following Saturday, both during CinemAsia Film Festival 2019.